Below are important tips for HVAC system maintenance:
. Air filter replacement should be done on a periodical basis to improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. Make sure you clean the filter every 03 months for best results in this regard. It will help avoid the dirty filter from forcing your HVAC system to work harder. When the system doesn’t need to work hard, it reduces the wear and tear on the internal parts of the HVAC system.
. The outdoor unit should be maintained in tip-top condition at all times. That big box (metal) located outside serves a specific purpose after all. Remove any debris such as trees, plants, leaves, weeds, and other trash that build up around the unit. A soft broom must be used to remove the dirt collected on the fins of the unit. A hose is ideal to clean the condensing unit on a regular basis. In fact, when the airflow is blocked, it can reduce the effectiveness of your unit. Maintaining the outdoor unit should be included in your maintenance checklist.
. The return and supply vents must be kept clear at all times. The vents must be clear of clutter such as furnishing, pet hair, carpets, and any other item that will help reduce airflow which will make the system work harder.
. A home maintenance schedule is essential. Caring for the AC must be added to this schedule. Write the task on your calendar so that they don’t slip off your mind easily. In fact, your AC system and wallet will benefit from such an arrangement.
Your home maintenance checklist needs to schedule a professional maintenance visit annually as part of it. Spring or fall is the best times to do this. Professional maintenance helps prevent unplanned expenses and future problems with the system. It will keep the unit operating at peak efficiency. A professional would address issues such as:
– Refrigerant – If the levels are too low or too high, it can affect the effectiveness and durability of your HVAC system.
– Leaks in Ductwork – If the system loses air in the ductwork due to whatever reasons, it will waste cooling and heating efforts as well as result in higher energy bills.
– Thermostat Functions – An efficient thermostat will ensure comfort and energy savings.
– HVAC Diagnostics – System diagnostics such as verifying the airflow through evaporator coils, checking the electrical components, and ensuring the controls are functioning properly will help the technician ensure that your system starts, runs, and shuts off properly.
– Maintenance Needs – A thorough inspection can address maintenance requirements such as cleaning the blowers, loose connections, lubricating the motors, and other electrical issues can be addressed before they create problems with your AC system.